Spr Stephan Stock

3 June 1983- 20 August 2008

Stephan Stock

STOCK, Stephan John Stephan - John Stock of Medicine Hat, passed away on August 20, 2008 in Kandahar Province, Afghanistan, at the age of 25 years, beloved son of Leona and David Stock of Medicine Hat and brother to Bryan Stock of Calgary.

Also cherishing his memory is his grandmother, Kathleen Cromie of Ireland; five aunts, five uncles and 43 cousins. He was predeceased by his grandparents, Jean and John Stock and Jack Cromie.

Stephan was born on June 3, 1983 in Campbell River, B.C. He moved with his family to Tsawwassen, B.C. in 1998 where he graduated from South Delta High School in 2001. They then relocated to Medicine Hat in 2002 and Stephan graduated from the Medicine Hat College as a Power Engineer. Stephan's Canadian Forces career began in his grade 12 year.

He joined the reserves while in Tsawwassen as a member of the "Jericho Beach" Signal Corps. Upon arriving in Medicine Hat he joined the South Alberta Light Horse Reserves. Stephan was very athletic and enjoyed team challenges ranging from soccer to football, he also enjoyed boxing, working out with weights at the gym, running, hiking and snow boarding.

Stephan was proud of his Irish Heritage and his 1CER Comrades. The Funeral Service for Sapper Stephan Stock, was held on Saturday, August 30, 2008 at 1:00 p.m. at the Patterson Armoury (120 Cuyler Road SE, Medicine Hat) with Padre Ellis Jagoe , officiating.

In lieu of flowers, in memory of Stephan, memorial donations may be made to the Canadian Breast Cancer of Canada 118 Victoria Street N, Sarnia, ON N7T 5W9 or to the CDS Military Families Fund, c/o Canadian Forces Personnel Support Agency, 4210 Labelle Street, Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0K2.

Hatters pay their respects

Alex McCuaig, Medicine Hat News

Almost all the flags in the Gas City were flying at half-mast over the weekend as Hatters said their final goodbyes to Sapper Stephan Stock by lining the route of his final trip to Patterson Armory

“This is a very difficult time for those who don’t like war,” said Mayor Norm Boucher.

“But at the same time there has been a lot of respect for one of our citizens who has passed away in combat.”

The mayor said he was impressed with the outpouring of support from Hatters for the Stock family.

“The family is left to grieve – and there is a lot of people grieving – people who worked with the parents, people who are close to the family, neighbours and friends. Hats of to residents, they did a very good job in attending and showing respect.”

Many of the hundreds who attended either the procession or service didn’t know Sapper Stock but still felt compelled to stand behind the family in their time of need.

Margaret Murphy stood outside the armoury silently with her four-year-old son Aiden as the service was taking place.

“I’m teaching my son respect and what these soldiers represent. I’m trying to teach him the symbolism and everything behind it,” she said.

“It’s important that we are here to show the close family members that we do appreciate what their child went and sacrificed himself for.”

Sid Penley, a veteran of the Second World War, said he is 100 per cent behind the way fallen Canadian soldiers are being recognized.

“After all, we put our lives on the dotted line,” he said.

“Back then, if you were bumped off, you were just left there. Today they fly you back. It is all together different.”

Medicine Hat bids farewell to Stock

Hundreds line procession route as Sapper Stephen Stock, killed in Afghanistan, is eulogised at Patterson Armoury

Alex McCuaig, Medicine Hat News Saturday, August 30, 2008 6:48 pm MDT

Under a cloudless sky, hundreds of people holding Canadian flags begun lining the streets just past noon on Saturday, silently marking Sapper Stephan Stock’s final journey through his adopted city of Medicine Hat.

The procession wound through the city towards the Patterson Armoury where friends, family and comrades gathered to say goodbye to their loved one before the body of the dead soldier is interned.

"He died a hero serving the country that he loved but always remember that he lived a hero," Corporal Jonathan Cowan said during the eulogy.

Stock, 25, originally from Campbell River, B.C., was among three 1 Combat Engineer Regiment troops based in Edmonton killed Aug. 20 in Afghanistan when a roadside bomb exploded near their armoured vehicle .

After the 90-minute memorial service ended, Stock’s mother Leona emerged from the armoury clutching the precisely folded Canadian flag, her son’s beret and Afghan Service Medal as she held her husband David’s hand.

The parents stood silently as the coffin was loaded into the hearse, then embraced their son’s comrade and friend Cpl. Cowan.

In this city of 60,000 with a large population of both Canadian and British army veterans, about 400 people lined the procession route and gathered outside the service.

The service was closed by request of the family but was broadcast on a large screen outside.

Emotions were hard to hide as many along the procession route openly wept.

Rob "Mac" Macdonald, a veteran of the Rwandan peacekeeping mission and Gulf War, didn’t know Stock, but felt drawn to the service. He said things have changed in the way Canadians view their armed forces.

"There is a lot more support from the community and they really understand what is going on over there with our troops," he said.

"People are realizing this is for real and it’s beginning to hit home."

With her husband and grandson sitting beside her, Joanne Bueckert said Canadians should honour their soldiers whether they are alive or have been killed.

"We ask these boys in times of war and peace to serve our country and they put their lives on the line for us," she said struggling to hold back tears.

"People should be here honouring them and giving respect to the parents who gave their child."

Sapper Stock moved to Medicine Hat from Tsawwassen, B.C. with his parents in 2002 and joined the South Alberta Light Horse reserve unit shortly afterwards. He graduated from Medicine Hat College’s engineering program in 2004 and joined the forces full-time the following year.

For further coverage, see the News' online photo gallery of the event, and read Tuesday's edition of the News.

Tributes pouring in

Angus Henderson, Medicine Hat News, 29 August 2008

Condolences started coming into the Medicine Hat News website Thursday after the News set up a special link, “Fallen Hero”, where residents and visitors can and offer their condolences to the family of Sapper Stephan Stock.

Those condolences will be printed in Saturday’s paper and condolence messages that come in after noon today will be printed in Wednesday’s paper.

In addition, people can drop off written condolences to the News office on Dunmore Road SE.

There’s also a Facebook tribute site with close to 300 members where more than 40 people have left messages.

The 25-year-old former graduate of Medicine Hat College was one of three Canadian soldiers killed in Afghanistan on Wednesday, Aug. 20.

Born and raised in B.C., he was a member of the Edmonton-based 1 Combat Engineer Regiment, serving with the Second Battalion Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry Battle Group. He had also served as a reservist with the South Alberta Light Horse.

Stock had been deployed to Afghanistan in February and his six-month tour of duty was to have ended in September.

On the Facebook tribute site, it’s obvious that the young soldier was well-liked by a wide range of people who appreciated having him in their lives.

His grandmother, Kathleen Cromie of Ireland, wrote: “I’m going to miss you terribly. I would have loved to have seen more of you over the years. I am extremely grateful for the time we spent together in May. I got to know my grandson as a man, instead of the boy who came over to Ireland all those years ago. You’re a hero to all, love GrannyXXX.”

A fellow Canadian soldier from southeast Alberta, James Moncrieff, wrote: “I was fortunate enough to see Steve about two-and-a-half weeks ago, while we were getting ready for an Op. I hadn’t seen him since we got over here, and it was nice to catch up with him. I wish we’d had more time to talk. I’ll miss you Steve-O.”

B.C. high school friend Jessica Meszaros wrote: “It was a pleasure knowing Steve in high school (South Delta). He was a true athlete, and loved playing football for the Sun Devils. Steve’s team members and friends loved and respected him. Even in high school, when none of us had a clue what to do with our lives, Steve knew what he was going to do with his. We admire him for his courage. We will be celebrating Steve’s life Friday night at the Rose & Crown in Tsawwassen and then at the 50-yard line (SDHS).”

Trevor Roy Stewardson, a former Olympic boxing competitor and now a local mixed martial arts fighter, wrote: Steve was a part-time soldier, part-time boxer. My time with him wasn’t long enough to become true friends, although I think that it would have been inevitable. When I was training for the Olympics he pushed and challenged me every time we trained together, even on off days.”

Stock funeral Saturday

Angus Henderson, Medicine Hat News, 28 august 2008

A military funeral will be held for Sapper Stephan Stock this Saturday at 1 p.m., in a private ceremony at the Patterson Armouries. Stock was killed last week during operations in Afghanistan.

The public is welcome to pay their respects to Stock and his family by lining the funeral procession route. At approximately 12:45 p.m., the procession will travel on South Railway Street from Pattison Funeral Home up Scholten Hill to Carry Drive and onto Cuyler Road. Limited outdoor seating will be available to the public.

A 2004 graduate of Medicine Hat College’s power engineering program, the 25-year-old was one of three Canadian soldiers killed August 20 when his convoy hit a roadside bomb. Fellow engineers Sergeant Shawn Eades and Corporal Dustin Wasden died in the same incident.

Stock, who grew up in the Campbell River area of British Columbia, was based out of Edmonton and joined the Canadian Forces as a sapper in 2005. He was deployed to Afghanistan in February and his six-month tour of duty was to end in September.

He was a member of the Edmonton-based 1 Combat Engineer Regiment, serving with the Second Battalion Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry Battle Group in Afghanistan.

A media advisory Thursday from Jennifer Taylor, public affairs officer for Canadian Forces Base (CFB) Suffield on behalf of the family, stated that the family will not issue a statement, or conduct interviews with the media at this time. The family has requested privacy during their time of grief.

Medicine Hat Mayor Norm Boucher announced Thursday that city hall has provided a book for public signatures of condolence to Sapper Stock’s family in the Legislative Corridor on the main floor of city hall, outside the council chambers.

"Sapper Stock and his family were part of family both at the city organization and the City of Medicine Hat,” said Boucher. “We felt that a book of condolences that residents and visitors could sign would provide the Stock family with some comfort knowing that the thoughts and prayers of many people are with them at this time.”

The book will be presented to the family.

The Medicine Hat News is also providing residents and visitors an opportunity to offer their condolences to the family. Starting today, people can log on to the News website at www.medicinehatnews.com and click on the “Fallen Hero” link.

In addition, residents and visitors can drop of their written condolences at the News office located at 3257 Dunmore Road SE.

Condolences received by noon hour Friday will appear in Saturday’s newspaper. Condolences received after that will appear in Wednesday’s paper.


“We would like to send our condolences to the other families and friends of Stephan’s colleagues. Our hearts go out to you. We thank all fellow Canadians, our closest friends, the Canadian Military the Military Family Resource Centre for all their support, wishes and prayers during this difficult time. 

Stephan was loved by so many people, his circle of friends stretch from coast to coast and his family both here and in Ireland. He was loved deeply by his family and shared a special bond with his younger brother, Bryan whom is truly honoured to say that Stephan was his brother. 

Stephan believed in Canada’s mission. He died proud and brave doing what he felt was right. He enjoyed the challenge and the personal endeavours that the military provided him along with the camaraderie of his fellow engineers. 

He wanted his friends to have no fear for him because he had no fear of the mission in Afghanistan. We truly believe that if he came home safe that he would request to return for another tour.” 

David, Leona and Bryan Stock

 Back to the front page